Ghee bhaat/ Vegetable fried rice
Vegetable fried rice is a popular rice preparation in birthday parties, biyebari(marriage ceremonies) and pujor bari(religious functions) as well. It has veggies and is full of flavors due to all the spices added. It goes perfectly with chicken dishes like Sunday special chicken curry , Chicken malaikari, Dahi chicken, Sorse chicken or Murg malaiwala
Cuisine: Bengali (Indian)
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 1 ½ cups Basmati rice
- ½ cup of cauliflower chopped into small florets
- ½ cup of carrots chopped into cubes
- ½ cup of french beans chopped into 1” length
- ¼ cup of green peas
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 10-12 cashew nuts
- 10-12 raisins
- 1” inch cinnamon stick broken into pieces
- 4-5 cardamoms
- 4-5 cloves
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoonful of salt
- ½ teaspoon + 1 tablespoon of sugar
- ½ tablespoon of ghee
- 1 ½ tablespoon of oil for cooking
- Cook the rice till it is 90% done. Do not overcook the rice else the fried rice will turn mushy.
- Once the rice is done, remove the water and spread it. Do not cover the rice else the cooking procedure of the rice will continue.
- In a deep-bottomed pan take the oil and heat it.
- Once the oil is hot, add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves and the sugar.
- Let the sugar caramelize. This gives a reddish colour to the fried rice. But be careful not to burn the sugar.
- Add the chopped cashews and saute them till golden.
- Now, add all the chopped vegetables and fry them till all the vegetables are cooked properly.
- Add the raisins and green chilies and ghee and turn off the flame.
- Now, add half of the rice to the pan and mix carefully. Do not break the rice grains.
- Add the remaining rice to the pan and mix again carefully.
- Now, add the sugar to the rice.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook on very low flame till the rice is completely done. This will also result in melting of sugar.
- Serve hot with any chicken dish of your choice.
6 thoughts on “Ghee bhaat/ Vegetable fried rice”