Mutton Glassy is traditional Old Dhaka (Puran Dhakaiya) Meat curry. This mutton dish is rich and the thick layer of oil on the dish which looks like glass, gives the dish it’s name. A melange of spices, cashewnut paste, milk solids and milk, the dish is rich and flavorful. Serve it with roti or paratha or even with rice.
Finding mutton in Israel is itself a task. Since people here consume beef, mutton is hardly found. To find mutton, we had to literally hunt for it in Jerusalem and it was dead expensive. It has been more than three years now since we have been to India and tasted mutton. Therefore, whatever price be it, we could not leave it without buying. Then as we brought the mutton home, then began my plan of what to do with the mutton. Kosha mangsho with basanti pulao……no!!!! something different. And then I remembered about Mutton glassy, the recipe of which I had once saved from a Bangladeshi cookbook.
Mutton glassy is easy to prepare but should be done with patience for best results. I have always been told by my mother that the texture of mutton is spoilt when pressure cooked. Therefore, when cooking exclusive dishes like this, I prefer to cook in a sealed pot rather than a pressure cooker. However, if you are in a crunch of time, you can pressure cook the mutton.
- 1 kg of mutton (big curry cut)
- ½ cup of onion paste
- ¼ cup of ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons of garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon of cashew nut paste
- 1 tablespoons of kishmish/raisins
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg powder(jayphol)
- 1 floret mace
- 1½ cup of milk
- ½ cup of milk powder
- ½ cup of onion sliced
- 8-12 green chillies slit
- ½ cup of mustard oil/cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ cup of cream for garnish (optional)
- Dry roast cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, mace, nutmeg and grind the spices to a fine powder.
- Clean and wash mutton and add onion paste, garlic, ginger paste, ground spices, milk, milk powder, cashew paste, kishmish, salt and oil.
- Let the meat marinate for 4 hours to overnight.
- In a kadai add ghee and fry onion till it becomes gold brown.
- To the same kadai add the marinated meat along with 2 cups of water. Cook the meat covered for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, stir it and repeat the process for every 20 minutes till the meat is cooked completely. (It took me approximately an hour to cook the meat completely)
- Check the seasoning, turn off the flame. Garnish the mutton glassy with cream and serve with roti or paratha.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like the recipe do not forget to hit like. If you prepare this dish and publish your photos on Facebook and Instagram do tag #theepicureanfeast. Also for queries, you can mail me email@example.com