Machher Tel r Chochori
Machher Tel/ Fish fat is often hard to get. That is because, we consume fish fat only from bigger freshwater fishes like rohu or katla. And often when we are lucky enough to get some, we end up making machher teler bora. I am sure, it must be the same in many of your cases too.
But this time, when we got some machher tel from our fishmonger here, I didnot want to take the hassle of frying them. When I was just thinking about what to do with them, my mother came in rescue. She told me, why do you not prepare some chochori with the machher tel. Therefore, here I go….
For preparing the machher tel r chochori, I have used the long thin brinjals as in the photographs below. But you can use any kind of brinjal according to your availability.
Remember, since what we are cooking is machher tel or fish fat, you need not use lot of oil during cooking since the fat releases lot of oil in the process.
Other Chochori recipes on my blog
Machher Tel r Chochori
- 150g of fish fat, intestine and fish Liver/ Macher Tel
- 1 potato
- 6 eggplants(I have used the long thin ones. You can use according to your availability)
- 3 onions thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped to smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 1½ tablespoons of garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon of nigella seeds
- 2 tablespoons of mustard oil
- 4-5 green chilies (or according to your tolerance)
- 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash the fish fat/ machher tel properly and marinate with ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of Kashmiri red chili powder, and salt.
- Peel the skin of the potato and cut it into longitudinal slices as shown below. Also cut the eggplants longitudinally.
- Heat the oil in a pan fry the eggplant and potatoes to golden brown and keep them aside.
- Temper the remaining oil with nigella seeds.
- Add chopped onion and tomatoes to the kadai and saute them for about 1 minute on medium flame. Now, add the ginger garlic paste to the kadai.
- Add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, green chilies and salt to the kadai
- Saute the spices till they begin releasing oil from the sides of the kadai.
- Now add the machher tel to the kadai and continue sauteing the tel in the kadai along with the spices for at least 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Add fried potatoes and fried eggplant to the kadai and mix everything together on low medium flame.
- Add water to the kadai and cook for around 10 minutes or till the potatoes soften and oil is released from the sides of the kadai.
- The chochori will not be completely dry and should turn mushy.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like the recipe do not forget to hit like. If you prepare this dish and publish your photos on Facebook and Instagram do tag #theepicureanfeast. Also for queries, you can mail me epicureanfeast2019@gmail.