Rui Kanchkolar Hingi
My man always had this feeling that you eat kanchakola (plantain) only when you have a troubled stomach 😂😂. so this weekend while I took out plantain from the refrigerator he asked me
Is our son suffering from a troubled stomach? With a frowning face, I answer him
Not that I know.
Then why are you cooking kanchakola today? At times it becomes very difficult to convince him.
Without any further argument, I set out to prepare Rui kanchkolar Hingi.
Its lunch time and I serve him the Hingi
O maa ei jhol ta to aaj darun hoeche. I was happy.
Put it on the party menu when we invite someone to our place he said.
My 3 yr old says Eta khete bhalo hoechhe 😃 what else does a chef need?
Rui Kanchkolar Hingi
- 4 pieces of rohu/ rui
- 1 plantain/raw banana cut longitudinally into 12 pieces
- ¼ teaspoon of hing/asafoetida
- 4 tablespoons of mustard oil
- ¼ cup of yogurt/curd
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- ½ inch of cinnamon stick
- 4-5 cloves
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon of ghee
- 1½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or as you like
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1 inch of ginger grated
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder on the fish steaks and leave them aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan dry roast the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and red chili powder and grind them to a fine powder. Strain the masala and keep it aside.
- In a kadai, add two tablespoons of mustard oil and heat it. Once the oil is hot, fry the fish pieces and keep them aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the kadai and heat it. Fry the plantain/raw banana and keep them aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, take half of the grated ginger, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, green chilies, sugar and salt along with 2 tablesspoons of water, mix everything and keep aside.
- Now, add all the contents of the bowl of spices to the kadai and saute them till the begin to leave oil from the sides of the kadai.
- Beat the yogurt well and add it to the kadai. stir the mixture continyously to prevent curdling of the yogurt.
- Now, add the fried fish steaks and the plantain to the kadai and let it simmer till the plantain is cooked through.
- In a pan, take one tablespoon of ghee. Temper the ghee with cumin seeds, bay leaf and asafoetida. As the spices release the aroma, add the tempered oil to the kadai.
- Gently mix all the contents of the kadai together while the flame is low.
- Add the garam masala powder and the remaining grated ginger to the kadai and turn off the flame.
- Serve the rui kanchkolar hingi hot with steamed rice.
- Bori (Lentil dumplings) can also be added while preparing the dish.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like the recipe do not forget to hit like. If you prepare this dish and publish your photos on Facebook and Instagram do tag #theepicureanfeast. Also for queries, you can mail me firstname.lastname@example.org