Chingrir Bati Chochori
A simple, light, and easy preparation just suitable for summers. While preparing bati chochori, my mother often prepares the bati (bowl) with all the ingredients and just places it in the bhater hari (pot for cooking rice) and the bati chochori is done while the rice is done.
But you need not worry, if you do not have a tiffin box of suitable size. You can prepare bati chochori in a pressure cooker or a sealed pot. Two facts to remember while making bati chochori is: firstly, the fish not sauted or fried before cooking and secondly there is no tempering of oil in making bati chochori.
Chingrir Bati Chochori
- 500g of prawn cleaned, de-shelled and de-veined
- 1 potato
- 1 tomato
- 1 Onion
- 4 green chilies
- 2+½ tablespoons of cilantro/ coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of mustard oil
- Wash the prawns and marinate with a little salt and half of the turmeric Powder.
- Peel the potato and cut it longitudinally.
- Thinly slice the onions and keep them aside. Also finely chop the tomatoes and slit the green chilies and keep them aside.
- Take a tiffin box or a box with lid which will be our cooking vessel.
- In the box take the potato pieces, tomato, green chili, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, red chili powder, rest of the turmeric powder, salt and 2 tablespoons of mustard oil and mix everything.
- Add the marinated prawns to it and lightly mix.
- Close the tiffin box and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, add water and place the closed tiffin box inside. Now seal the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Do not add any water in the tiffin box since the veggies release a lot of water.
- Cook on low flame until two whistle come out.
- Turn off the flame and wait till the pressure drops completely.
- Open the lid and drizzle ½ teaspoon of mustard oil before serving.
- Garnish with ½ tablespoon of coriander leaves and serve.
- The standing time is very important. This step will help the veggies and prawn soak in the spices and gives, in turn, a very good flavor.
- you may adjust the prawns and potato, based on preference. I have used more prawns and fewer potatoes.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like the recipe do not forget to hit like. If you prepare this dish and publish your photos on Facebook and Instagram do tag #theepicureanfeast. Also for queries, you can mail me email@example.com