Mulo Die Motor Daal|| Yellow split pea with radish
Daal or Lentil soups are a part of staple diet in West Bengal. While patla musoorir daal (thin red lentil soup) is a specialty of summer meals, some daals have occupied winter meals. Mulo or radish being available in winter, this daal is often served in Bengali household during winter.
Cook the daal with tomatoes and oodles of green chilies, temper the daal and garnish with handful of chopped coriander leaves, it is absolutely easy peasy and can be a part of your comfort meal during winters.
Mulo Die Motor Daal
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Bengali (Indian)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup Yellow split pea (motor dal) washed
- 1 medium sized radish washed, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon of mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon of paanchforon
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 inch of ginger grated
- 2-3 Green chilies
- Salt as needed
- 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves
- Wash the motor daal in water and let it soak in water for an hour.
- In a pot, add the washed daal, chopped tomato, green chilies, turmeric powder and salt and water and cook till the daal is 80% done. You can also pressure cook the daal.
- Now, add the radish slices in the daal and continue cooking till the daal and radish is completely done.
- In a kadai heat a tbsp of oil. As the oil starts smoking, temper the oil with dried red chilies, bay leaves and paanch foron.
- As the spices start spluttering, add the grated ginger to the kadai and saute the ginger, till the raw smell of the ginger is no more.
- Now, pour the the cooked daal in the kadai. Stir everything properly and let the daal simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish the daal with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the daal with hot steamed rice.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like the recipe please hit like. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook. If you prepare this dish and publish your photos on Facebook and Instagram do not forget to tag #theepicureanfeast