Lau r khosa bata/ Bottle gourd peel chutney
Satlano followed by sukono, batas, bhortas and makhas have been my favorite comfort food as well as the favorite cooking skill out of all that I have adapted. Not only are they ridiculously simple, but these double cooked preparations are something with which I can finish an entire plate of rice. Aloo bhorta being my favorite, (I guess almost every Bengali’s favorite) I also prepare dhonepata bata, beet bata. Though Israel is quiet limited in vegetables, we manage to get lauki/ lau in summer. So whenever lau comes home and I cook it, I make it a point not to discard the peels or khosa.
I often prepare lau r khosha bhaja(fried lauki peels) which includes systematic cutting of the lau r khosa(bottle gourd peels) and then frying them. But this time, I planned to make something different and immediately lau r khosha bata came to my mind. I prefer to use a dash of sorser tel (mustard oil) in this bata. The pungency of the mustard oil enhances the flavor of the mustard paste just to the right extent.
Some bottle gourd/ lau recipes on my blog
Lau r khosa bata
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- Peel from 1 lau/bottle gourd
- 3 tablespoons of mustard oil
- 1½ tablespoon of mustard paste
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 green chilies or as per taste
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated coconut
- 1/4 tablespoon of nigella seeds/ kalojeera
- Make a fine paste of peel of bottle gourd along with the green chilies. (You can add little water while making the paste)
- In a kadai, add the mustard oil and heat it.
- Once the mustard oil is hot, temper the oil with kalojeera.
- As the aroma of kalojeera fills the air, add the paste of bottle gourd peel slowly in the kadai.
- Continue cooking on medium flame till the paste is almost completely cooked and the water reduces in the kadai.
- Now, lower the flame and add the mustard paste followed by the grated coconut.
- Continue cooking on medium flame till all of the water is completely evaporated. Keep stirring at intervals particularly towards the end, else the bata might stick to the kadai.
- Turn off the flame and let the bata cool. Serve with steamed rice.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like the recipe do not forget to hit like. If you prepare this dish and publish your photos on Facebook and Instagram do tag #theepicureanfeast. Also for queries, you can mail me firstname.lastname@example.org
2 thoughts on “Lau r khosa bata/ Bottle gourd peel chutney”