Karela chips/ Bittergourd chips
Karela or bitter gourd is one of my favorite vegetables. However, my family members do not like bitter gourd at all. So, I tried this recipe and this was an absolute hit in the family. These karela chips are also perfect as appetizers when you have guests at home.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 2 medium sized karela/bitter gourd
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- 2 tablespoons of besan/gram flour
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the bitter gourds/karela properly and pat them dry.
- Slice them to thin slices. If the slices are thick the chips will not be crispy.
- Take the besan, cornflour, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and mix them properly.
- Now, gradually add water to the batter to form a pouring consistency.
- Take a pan/kadai and add the oil. Heat the oil on medium flame.
- Now, dip the karelas in the batter and deep fry them on low-medium heat.
- Gently flip the karelas to fry them evenly on both the sides.
- Fry them till they turn golden and crisp.
- Serve the fritters with tea or as an appetizer.