Bengali style chicken curry
Chicken curry is cooked in most Bengali households on Sunday. Addition of potatoes to the curry, is one of the specialties of this chicken curry. This chicken curry is easy to prepare and do not take much time. It goes perfectly with steamed rice.
Course: Main course
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
- 1 Kg chicken curry cut
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste
- 1-2 potatoes cut in squares
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1 teaspoonful of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoonful of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoonful of red chili powder(optional)
- 1 teaspoonful of Bengali garam masala
- 2-3 bay leaves
- ¼ cup of chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons of oil for cooking/ mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoonful of whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoonful of garam masala powder
- Make a paste of the onion, tomato, green chilies in a blender.
- Marinade the chicken with the onion tomato chili paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt and leave it for about an hour.
- Take a pan/kadai, add the oil and let it be hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the whole cumin seeds and bay leaves.
- As the cumin starts spluttering, add the chopped potatoes and sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Now, add the marinated chicken.
- Cook the chicken till you see the oil leaving the sides of the pan
- Stir for 1 minute and then add water.
- Let the gravy simmer till you reach the desired consistency.
- Now add the powdered garam masala and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
Thank you for stopping by. If you like the recipe do not forget to hit like. If you prepare this dish and publish your photos on Facebook and Instagram do tag #theepicureanfeast. Also for queries you can mail me email@example.com