Beguni/ Eggplant fritter
Beguni/ eggplant fritter………perfect on a rainy day. It is mostly enjoyed with khichdi/khichuri or over a cup of tea. Prepare them just before eating else they absorb moisture and loses it’s crispiness. They are absolutely easy to prepare and extremely tasty. yum!!!!!
Course: Starter /snacks
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 small eggplant cut to thin slices of about 1-2 cm
- 4 tablespoonful of besan/Bengal gram flour
- 2 tablespoonful of corn flour
- ½ teaspoonful of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoonful of red chili powder
- ½ teaspoonful of kalojeera/kalounji/nigella seeds
- ¼ teaspoonful of baking powder
- Salt to taste, around 1 teaspoonful
- Oil for frying, at least 2 cups
- Black salt(optional)
- Mix besan, cornflour, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, kalojeera and baking powder. Now, gradually pour water to the mixture and keep mixing. The batter should not be thin, else it will not coat the eggplant. I added about ¾ cup of water.
- Take a pan and heat the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, take a slice of eggplant, coat it with the batter.
- Gently drop the coated eggplant in the hot oil.
- Fry the eggplant on low-medium flame till it is golden brown on both the sides.
- Take out the beguni and keep it on tissue paper to absorb the excess oil
- Sprinkle black salt and serve hot.